Legal Requirements


Q. What is the Notice of Intended Marriage Form?

In order to be married you must lodge a "Notice of Intended Marriage" form at least one month and one day prior to and no more than 18 months prior to the wedding day. The NOIM form is valid for 18 months from lodgment with Celebrant.


You will need to produce:

A birth certificate for each person (an extract or full copy). If you were born in Australia you MUST produce a either a birth certificate or passport. If born outside Australia - an overseas passport showing date and place of birth or a statutory declaration.

If previously married - divorce - decree absolute.

With the death or previous husband or wife - death certificate. If either party has changed their name with births deaths and marriages, the official 'change of name' document must be produced.

All documents need to be in English or have an official translation of the document into English. If you require documents to be translated then visit
All Certificates MUST be original or certified copies. Photocopies are not acceptable.

Under the "Marriage Act" these documents must be produced before the marriage can take place. If you are not lodging the NOIM in person you will also need to send me copies of the documents you will be producing when I meet you before the wedding. This will allow me to verify that there will be no problems that need to be rectified close to your wedding day. (this is only applicable to you if we are unable to meet in person before your wedding day)

Q. Where can I obtain a "Notice of Intended Marriage" form?

Directly from me. I will help you fill it out when we meet for the first time. At this time I will also discuss with you your ceremony selections and provide you with choices of vows, readings, etc. You may look these over at your leisure.

Q. What documentation is required to be married in Australia? 

 Marital Status Documents required

Never married: Birth Certificates

Divorced: Birth Certificates & Divorce Papers (Decree absolute) 

Widower or Widow: Birth Certificate & Death Certificates

Q. What if I don't have a birth certificate?

If you were born overseas and your birth certificate and all records of your birth have been destroyed you can provide a passport from a country other than Australia, which shows your date and place of birth or complete a Statutory Declaration. If you were born in Australia a Statutory Declaration is not acceptable you must obtain a birth certificate. You may do this by visiting the website:

Q. What are the Age Requirements?

You must be over the age of 18 to be married in Australia, except in limited circumstances.